Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Guide to Teaching as a Subversive Activity

I liked the end of The Guide, but/and I know it will drive my students crazy!  The very last sentence can be interpreted in more than one day; I know what I think happens, I can different interpretations.  Outwardly the protagonist changes, but when Narayan reveals his thoughts it doesn't appear that he has learned through his experiences.  Despite my cynicism, I prefer unethical characters in books to learn, grow, and become nice people.  I am also ambivalent about the changes in Rosie's character, despite the fact that I find her character development very logical and believable.  While I don't always like books to leave me with questions that linger long after I finish reading, I do like teaching this kind of book because students have to reach their own conclusions about some of the open-ended questions.   Even though I feel that not everything is fully resolved at the end of the book, I still feel that the book has a solid conclusion.

When I ordered it, I did not realize that Teaching as a Subversive Activity was published in 1971.  I agree with the premise that students need to think rather than memorize, but education is moving in that direction.  When examples of how much society and technology have changed "recently," I have to think about all the things that have changed since the invention of television and LP records that are the examples given in the book.  I may go back and read more over the summer as reviews mention good ideas, but I have so many other books that I've started since winter break that there are others that I'd rather finish first.

No comments:

Post a Comment