Friday, June 27, 2014

A Great and Terrible Beauty

Once I read past chapter 8 and realized that this was not going to be another teen-vampire type story, I was able to get into the story more.  Events picked up and characters became more rounded.  There were some unexpected plot twists that kept me reading as much as I could while traveling back from Ohio.  (Reading while in a van or car became headache inducing once I started wearing bi-focals.)   I finished the book today and ordered the next two in print.   If my Kindle would unlock I'd already be reading the second one. 

The story developed into the start of a fairly unique battle between good and evil which I assume will continue.   Gemma is attracted to Kartik, but they appear to be on opposite sides, although I don't see Kartik as being on the side of evil.  I want them to end up together, although that would not be socially acceptable.  Is Gemma going to develop enough confidence in herself to be able to flout convention?

I am also interested in how the lives of two of Gemma's friends will continue.   I'm not sure whether I like Tom enough to consider him good enough for one friend, and I worry that the other has been seduced by evil.  I may end up impatient enough to order book two in a Kindle version and read it on my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment