I was reading Rebel Angels by Linda Bray last night (the second book in the trilogy) and really like it so far. After the way the first book ended, I am impatient to find out how the story continues. However, I know that I will probably have to wait until winter break to find out now! I wish I could read on the treadmill, but that doesn't work well with bi-focals, and I am uncoordinated enough at the best of times to risk exercising with reading glasses on!
I did finish Angela's Ashes and like it as much as I did the first time. Many people who have seen me carrying the book have recommended 'Tis, so that, too, will go on the winter break list. I was disappointed in Teacher Man, but mainly because I was looking forward to being inspired and instead found myself reliving some of my more discouraged days in the classroom. Maybe the book turns around after a while, but as long as I'm teaching, I need to read books about how wonderful teaching can be.
A book that I have started and really want to read as soon as possible is Building Resilience in Children and Teens by Dr. Kenneth R. Ginsburg. Dr. Ginsburg spoke at one of the sessions at the Military Child Education Coalition Conference and inspired me to order this book. He very effectively communicated how to talk to teenagers, and how to unintentionally shut them down. The first edition of this book was written with parents in mind. This edition has additional information geared toward organizations, including schools. I hope to bring you updates about this book even while school is in session, and I already wish that I'd had access to this book when my daughters were in school.
No comments:
Post a Comment