I have almost finished The Witching Hour and was in New Orleans when I last spent time reading. It was amazing to be able to put street names and sights to the books. The Garden District is incredibly beautiful, and the cemeteries are so much more impressive than in photographs. I can now better imagine the Mayfair tomb, as well as the one in which Petyr van Able was trapped! If we had been there longer, I would have gone to see the Lafayette Cemetery and the Pontchartrain Hotel, but not seeing them this time is a good reason to go back.
We spent a couple of hours in the New Orleans Museum of Art. It has a wonderful selection from different time periods as well as incredibly good food in the cafe. Neither have anything to do with what I'm reading, but they were too good to not mention.
We drove to New Orleans from Pensacola, so we also got to walk on the white sand beaches described in the books. We did not go into Destin, but I can at least picture the beautifully clear Gulf water and the beaches. I-10 was a good drive from that direction, but I don't recommend I-10 east of New Orleans!
No comments:
Post a Comment