Now that I've started to think about work less, I am moving away from playing video games and back to reading. As happens most summers, I'm starting out with an old favorite so that I can read leisurely and not rush through trying to find out what happens next! I could probably recite all of the key events of The Witching Hour by now, but that doesn't change how much I love reading it.
I think this is one of the main differences between an avid reader and a reluctant reader. It is difficult to convince some of my students to read even a short poem more than once. They feel that they have extracted all that they can after one cursory skimming of the text. I often stop in the middle of a really good book and read a sentence or a paragraph multiple times because it is so beautifully written. Luckily I am married to a man who does not mind me demanding, "Read this sentence. Isn't it good!" Whether it's a sentence written by one of my favorite authors or a sentence in a student essays, I love a good sentence the way I love the first flowers of any kind each year. (Right now, the gladiolas and daylilies are competing for my admiration.)
The one change, and one that I apparently made the last time I read this trilogy, is that I am having to read the book on my Kindle. Even with my reading glasses, the print book looks like the fine print on a medicine bottle! I guess it's a good thing that I didn't throw the appointment reminder from the optometrist away. But back to reading.... and gardening... and enjoying life without a bell schedule.
No comments:
Post a Comment